Happy Earth Day from the Conservancy!
50 volunteers joined us on Sunday to celebrate the Earth Day weekend by stewarding street trees, maintaining gardens, and composting. The day ended with a barbecue feast, courtesy of Whole Foods. Our wonderful volunteer bunch consisted of ConEdison, Whole Foods, NYCares, GATHER, St. Francis Xavier Action Youth Center, and many community individuals. Thanks so much to everyone for spending their Sunday afternoon with us!
- Stewarded 22 street trees
- Stewarded gardens on 3rd Ave and Union St, Degraw St West and East, and 2nd St West, totaling 4,350 sq ft
- Collected 110 lbs of organic waste
- Removed 20 lbs of trash from the gardens
- Composted 9100 lbs of food-scraps
- Turned March’s compost windrow (8,300 lbs of compost)
- Weighed 237 lbs of received sawdust
- Sifted 0.5 cubic yards of finished compost
Compost lasagna in formation:
Volunteers braving the sweet smell of compost turning!
Sifting in action:
Finally, enjoying the end of the day’s delicious eats.
We had an excellent time amongst compost, trees, gardens and friends. Cheers to Earth Day, and make sure to spend some time outside today soaking up the leftover Spring sun!